Warning: Declaration of TCB_Menu_Walker::walk($elements, $max_depth) should be compatible with Walker::walk($elements, $max_depth, ...$args) in /home/sandiepo/public_html/wp-content/plugins/thrive-visual-editor/inc/classes/class-tcb-menu-walker.php on line 0
Autumn advice for a happy & healthy dog! Part One - Sandie Powner Photography
Oct 09

Autumn tips for a happy & healthy dog! - Part One

Autumn is a great time of year for getting out and exploring, splashing in muddy puddles and kicking up leaves in the woodland. But it's also a time of year when there are risks to your dog - from plants out and about on your walk, to things around the home or events happening during these months.

Here is part one of my guide to keeping your dog healthy and happy during Autumn:

pet photography market harborough

PLANTS TO AVOID IN AUTUMN

This is the time of year when fruits and seeds are falling from the trees, and some of these are could be appealing for your dog to collect - particularly if he's ball-crazy like Charlie! It's important to be aware that some of these fruits and seeds can be poisionous to dogs - here are a few common examples:

  • Acorns & conkers - these are toxic to dogs and can cause stomach problems and intestinal blockages
  • Yew trees - the seeds and needles are extremely poisonous to many animals and can have very serious consequences, including death
  • Autumn Crocuses - toxic to dogs and can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhea
  • Blue-green algae - common from early summer to early autumn and looks like a blue-green scum on the water. Extremely toxic and can cause death.

AUTUMN RISKS IN YOUR HOME

This is the time of year when the weather gets colder, so some of the things we do at home can cause risks to our pets. 

Antifreeze is - for obvious reasons - poisonous, yet it has a sweet taste which can be appealing to dogs, or particularly cats. Make sure you mop up any spills and keep bottles well away from your pets.

SIGNS YOUR DOG HAS EATEN SOMETHING POISONOUS

Common signs that your dog has eaten something poisonous can include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • lethargy
  • loss of appetite
  • bleeding (bruising, stools, nosebleeds)
  • seizures
  • loss of appetite
  • difficulty breathing
  • loss of balance

This list is not exhaustive. If your dog presents any of these symptoms, seek vet assistance immediately.

If you are able to, look around for evidence of what your dog has ingested and give this information to your vet, along with any packaging or sample of what they have eaten, if available.

What tips do you have to keep your dog healthy and happy in Autumn?

Check out: Autumn Advice Part Two - Halloween Read it here
Don't miss: Autumn Advice Part Three - Bonfire Night

Leave a Comment:

Leave a Comment: